Thursday, November 3, 2011

trials


Life is filled with trials of various kinds, some great, some small, all change us.  Jesus says to expect them (John 16:33).  The question is: How will we respond?  I know it's easy for me to retreat to comfort, complain, feel hopeless, or wish my circumstance away.  However in the second part of John 16:33 Jesus tells us to "be of good cheer" because He has overcome the world.  
That is good news for my soul.
In this new season of motherhood I find myself facing new and different trials.  Some days these questions creep into my mind: am I being a good enough mom for my boy?  a good enough wife for my husband?  a good enough friend?  Being a new mom has pushed me a little past capacity (or more) at times.  I kind of had this idea while pregnant that when I became a mama I would have the tidiest home, delicious home cooked meals waiting for my husband when he came home, and smiling children to greet him (funny, huh?).  Well, my house has baby stuff lying all around and hasn't been deep cleaned since who knows how long, I never have a meal ready by the time Josh gets home, and Ernie's mood is constantly fluctuating.  I've had to ask God for His help a whole lot more; I think that's what He intended.  I've also had to seek Him in reminding me where my identity lies.  
I am His; and He loves me...(deep breath out).  
I am also not on trial to be "good enough"; I have complete freedom to be a mom and wife who doesn't always know what she's doing and who fails because there is forgiveness.  He also promises to be my help throughout the whole journey.  

Thanks God for trials; they make me reach out for your hand 
and call on your name.  They also make me stronger and bring joy.  

" Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.  And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."
-James 1:2-4

How are you thankful for trials?

1 comment:

  1. I feel like the last 4 years of my life have been spent trying to learn the truth of this post - not needing to feel like I'm "good enough" but relying on God for strength and trusting that He will create some good out of my meager efforts every day. Thanks for sharing. I'm really enjoying this series of yours.

    ReplyDelete