Tuesday, November 8, 2011

the best book

Earnest is asleep in his bassinet breathing evenly in and out.  I love watching his small chest rise and fall.  The in-laws left a few hours ago after Ernie Boy's bath.  They spent the day here which was wonderful.  They watched Ernie while I worked my two hour shift (did you know I teach P.E. 7 hours a week? :) ).  I even got to bake pumpkin bars this afternoon (recipe soon to come).  It's these quiet times after my son is asleep that I have the opportunity to reach for my Bible.  The husband and I have been trying to make a habit of reading the Bible together in the evenings.  It's kind of funny, but we read by the faint glow of book-lights so we don't wake the babe.  


Here are a few reasons I want to read this book more:
1. These words create faith.
"So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ."
-Romans 10:17

2. The God of the universe spoke it into existence. 
3. It teaches me God's ways and trains me to abide by them.
"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work."
-2 Timothy 3:16-17

4. God's word is alive and active.
5. God uses his word to help me know my own heart and to know His.
"For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart."
-Hebrews 4:12

6. God's word is eternal and holds eternal significance.
7. God's word gives me life.
8. God's word is light in darkness.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was in the beginning with God.  All things were made through him and without him was not any thing made that was made.  In him was life, and the life was the light of men.  The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it."
-John 1:1-5

9. God's word is embodied in the person of Jesus Christ.
10. These words invite me to know Jesus and His grace and truth.
"And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth...And from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace." 
-John 1:14-16

Thanks LORD for your matchless word that brings faith, love, hope, and life.  
How are you thankful for His Word?

*For the entire "Heart of Thanks" challenge click here.

1 comment:

  1. Jen, this was so well put! It was wonderful to read verses throughout the numbered list.

    Thank you for sharing, it was truly encouraging to read.

    P.S. I recently made some yummy chocolate chip pumpkin bars! Mmmm...they were good. I'll be sharing the recipe I tweaked soon too. I look forward to seeing your recipe too.

    ReplyDelete