Sunday, April 24, 2011

an Easter poem for you

Mary's Story
        by: Jen Jacobs

damp mud floor, no windows,
locked in
darkness
You came to let me live
placed your hand on my head
forced the evil out,
light
brilliant sun
filled the place
I was kept away
beautiful savior
I will follow you

you continue
miracles
blind see, cripple walk, deaf hear
we love you
broken-hearted, broken-bodied
we love you

they hate you
I’ve seen the way they whisper
I recognize those demons
white washed tombs
open-throated graves
why such patience for them?

they have you now
I saw from a distance
I followed you from Galilee
I will follow you

cover my eyes with clammy hands
still I see your bloody body
the cross too much for me;
how dare they crucify my Lord!

I try
to come to you
to wipe your face, give you drink
their bodies hold me back
drag me to the dirt

I watch.
I listen to curses and cackles from the crowd
I sink.
head in hands
I howl.

My
Jesus.
On the
Cross.

Don’t leave Lord,
Live!
I know you can get down
call on Him.
Do it.

I touch your toiled feet
full of black and blue
and red and rust
from the nail

It is finished?
No Lord, let it never be
done!

Darkness in the day
In my heart
I will follow you
to the tomb

They lay down your body
wrapped in white linens

they roll the stone
you are locked inside
darkness
no Hope

I stay to keep away thieves
I will follow you
in sleep, in death.

I awake and the stone is disturbed!
My majesty is missing!
Two bright-eyed men ask why I weep
It is for you Lord.
You have gone away and
I cannot follow you.

And then your voice…
falls on my ears
the sweetest song
Mary
you say—just as when you called me
for the first time
And I know it is you!

I run to you, my feet cannot
carry me fast enough
my mourning is removed
replaced with rejoicing!

I could not cling though,
you spoke of ascension
I did not understand yet.

I will follow you
I will tell of your glory.
You are my forever king and
I will follow you.

No comments:

Post a Comment