Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Sailing through the Work Week

"A ship in the harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
                                           -William Shedd


Hello friends.  Happy Tuesday to you.  Our principal shared this Shedd quote with our staff on Monday morning.  He lead us in a devotion about living counter-cultural lives.  I so often want to stay in the "harbor"; don't you?  If I am honest with myself I want to live a safe, cozy existence free from pain, stress, or trials of any sort.  I want my life to be easy.  The Bible speaks of a different kind of life. 

Romans 12:2 says:
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Jesus says in Matthew 10:39:
Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. 

So, how do these verses apply to me practically day in and day out?  First, I have to remember that God tells me my life will not be easy; in fact, He says I should be joyful when I meet "trials of various kinds" (James 1:2).  Trials produce steadfastness.  Let's take a look at how these verses fleshed themselves out today:

The alarm went off at 6:00, 6:10, and finally 6:20  I was about to grumble about how tired I was and how I didn't want to go to work when I thought of Monday's devotion.  I had to do a bit of "self talk".  I had to tell myself that even though school is sometimes (most of the time) challenging it is worth it.  Jesus will be my help, my strength, and my song.  And then after being at school for one hour and the kids are poking me in my lower back saying "teacher! teacher!" instead of raising their hands patiently at their desks I have to do some more "self talk" about Jesus loving these children and I should too (even when they are not obedient).

  When I'm not doing well at the whole self-talk business I'm thankful for a husband who will spoon feed me the gospel, and for the friends and co-workers who encourage me with God's good news.  So cheer up brothers and sisters!  If you are facing trials praise Him; if you are joyfully content praise Him.  I will leave you with the verse I am teaching the kindergartners this week:

Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
                                                     -1 Thessalonians 5:18

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the encouragement, Jen! (I'm following you, by the way, and am thoroughly enjoying your blog!) Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great word to our hearts, Jen! You really live out this testimony of thankfulness! I can relate with what you shared in so many ways too!

    ReplyDelete