Monday, January 24, 2011

Closet Clean-Out

I was inspired to organize and simplify this weekend after speaking with my teaching friends Angela and Sue.  They were telling me about a man who felt convicted that he only needed 100 personal things.  He even put pencil to paper and created a list.  These 100 things did not include "family" items like: cooking necessities, furniture, etc...He felt great freedom in simplifying his "stuff".  Well, I didn't whittle my things down to 100 but I did clean out my closet!  
As I was digging through old sweaters and skirts I realized I hadn't done this for awhile.  A lot of the items I had hung onto because I thought "I might wear this again someday".  This time, I asked myself, "Have I worn this in the last year?".  If the answer was "no" it got folded up and put in a brown bag.  I ended up having three bags full of "stuff" adding up to a whopping 55 items!  I was a little shocked at how much clothing came out of my little closet!  I feel very free.  I think this was a good way God has shown me to hold my "stuff" more loosely.  We really don't need that much after all.  I'm hoping to go through my closet again (when I get the energy) and give it a second look through. 

P.s. Friends and family are welcome to stop by and browse through the brown bags before I donate my things to Salvation Army :). 

No comments:

Post a Comment