Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Wholesome Winter Squash Muffins

I received my new mixer for Christmas last weekend (we celebrated early with my parents)!  It was a difficult task deciding which recipe to whip up first.  I glanced around the kitchen and noticed I hadn't used the squash sitting on my counter.  I decided to make a version of my own squash muffins.  I was pretty pleased with the results (especially since it was my first time baking a squash :). 

Ingredients:
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 cup cooked, mashed winter squash (I used buttercup squash)
1/2 cup butter softened
2 eggs beaten
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips

Put it all together:
1. In a large bowl combine the first six ingredients; mix well. 
2. In another bowl combine the rest of the ingredients.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients; mix until just moistened.
3. Stir in the chocolate chips.
4. Fill paper-lined muffin cups 2/3 full.  Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

Enjoy with a large glass of milk!

No comments:

Post a Comment