Saturday, April 28, 2012

Whole 30 Half Completed

I write to you from the comfort of my living room.  Feet up.  Deep breath in.  It's been a little busy this morning.  All good things of course.  Earnest decided he wanted to get up and stay up at 6am.  So, we've been busy with the babe, making quiches, doing dishes (our dishwasher has been broken for two weeks), grocery shopping, going to bridal/baby showers, and doing more dishes.  Ernie will probably be waking up from his nap soon but I thought I'd attempt to fill you in on life lately.
We have officially completed 2 weeks of the Whole 30 (woohoo!).
Here are some positives:

  1. We feel good.  Not only have we been eating healthier, but we've been going to sleep earlier.  Also, Ernie has been sleeping better which means we've all been sleeping better :) (not sure if there is a correlation between Ernie's sleep and my new eating habits?).
  2. We have had fun new dates!  Our dates have not included dinner out, so we've had to be creative.  My latest favorite date?  Coconut milk smoothies and the first season of Downton Abbey. Both were SO GOOD!  
  3. Josh has been coming home for lunch on most days.  It's been working out to have Josh come home for lunch instead of me packing his lunch.  It's been nice for Ernie and me to see him in the middle of the day.  He sure can brighten the rest of our afternoon!
Now, those are the positives.  There have been some challenges too.  Cravings still come and go.  Today and yesterday were good days for me.  I even resisted delicious looking caramel rolls at the shower today (and the candy dish :) ).  Other days though, I will crave a good piece of bread or a side of rice to accompany dinner.  Josh does too.  I've heard these cravings subside...we'll see :).  For the most part though, we've been quite pleased with meals.  

Another thing, this might sound strange, but I think this meal plan has helped with discipline in other areas of my life, especially Bible reading.  I've had a hard time in this season of life to consistently be reading and spending time in God's word.  But, as of late, God's been helping me to see how important His word is, and how much I need it.  I've been listening to audio scripture as I do the dishes.  I've been studying Hebrews and commentaries for a little bit of Ernie's naps.  I think I just feel plain needy and thirsty for Him.  It feels good to drink it all in again.

I hope to be back later this weekend 
to post a few recipes we've enjoyed.  
Until then, have a great Saturday!  

2 comments:

  1. Good for you guys!! When my husband and I switched to eating Paleo (which sounds pretty similar to what you're doing) we saw amazing results in all areas of our lives! The cravings for bread and pasta were pretty intense at first, but slowly they faded :) Feeling good made making better choices easier and easier! I haven't been too strict lately because of all of my wonderful food aversions from pregnancy ;), but I've slowly been starting to eat clean again and looking forward to being 100% back to it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you and Josh for making it halfway!!! Sounds like you've come across some amazing recipes in the process :) The smoothie one sounds great--it's my latest pregnancy craving.

    ReplyDelete